Swimming isn’t the only exercise that can be done in the pool. There are many effective pool exercises that can provide a full-body workout – from working your arms and upper body to giving your legs a great workout. Here are some of the best pool exercises for a full-body workout.
Benefits of Exercising in the Pool
Swimming or doing other pool exercises have tons of benefits that are great for your physical and mental health. Here are some of the top benefits of exercising in the pool:
● Pool exercise is low-impact and can be easier on your joints than other forms of exercise.
● It is great for cardio and can help you burn more calories.
● Being in the pool can improve your balance, flexibility and stamina.
● The water provides resistance, which makes it easier to strengthen your core and improve coordination.
● It can be an enjoyable and refreshing way to exercise.
Pool Exercises for an Upper Body Workout
The pool is a great place to target different muscle groups in the upper body. Here are some of the best pool exercises for an upper body workout:
● Arm Circles: Standing in chest-deep water, stretch your arms out to the side at shoulder-level and move them in small circles forward and backward. This exercise targets the shoulders, biceps and triceps.
● Flutter Kicks: Start by floating on your stomach in the water and kick your legs slowly and gently while moving your arms back and forth in the water. This exercise targets the back, chest, and upper and lower arms.
● Pool Push-Ups: Float face down in the water and perform a classic push-up with your hands on the edge of the pool or a step in the pool. You can also make this exercise more advanced by adding resistance such as a pair of weighted paddles. This exercise is great for the triceps, chest and shoulders.
Pool Exercises for a Lower Body Workout
Most people know that leg lifts are a great lower-body exercise, but there are many other ways to target your legs and work your core in the pool. Here are some of the best pool exercises for a lower body workout:
● Pool Squats: Starting with your feet shoulder-width apart and bent at the knees, lower your body into a squat as if you were sitting in a chair. Make sure to keep your spine straight and your knees behind your toes.
● Wall Sits: Stand with your back against a wall and squat down until your upper and lower legs are at a 90-degree angle. Hold this position for 10 to 30 seconds and then repeat.
● Bicycle Kicks: Float on your back in the pool and kick your legs in a “bicycling” motion for a set of repetitions. This is great for your core and inner thigh muscles.
Pool Exercises for a Core Workout
The core is the foundation of the body and strong core muscles can help improve performance in many activities. Here are some of the best pool exercises for a core workout:
● Sculling: Start by floating on your back and make movements with your arms to move through the water. This will help you engage your core muscles and also work your arms.
● Jackknives: Start by floating on your back in the pool and then bring your legs and arms together while bringing your chest up to your knees. Keep your back straight throughout the exercise.
● Knee-to-Chest Crunches: Hold the side of the pool and bring your knees up towards your chest while extending your legs out in front. Do a set of repetitions for each side.
Pool Exercises to Help You Lose Weight
Exercising in the pool can be an effective way to burn calories and lose weight. Here are some of the best pool exercises for weight loss:
● Swimming: One of the best and most effective pool exercises for weight loss is swimming. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced swimmer, the motions of swimming can help you burn calories and lose weight.
● Water Treading: Treading water is an effective and challenging exercise. It can help you burn extra calories and lose weight.
● Water Jogging: Start by jogging in the shallow end of the pool and work your way up to the deeper end. This exercise is easy on the joints, can improve cardiovascular health, and is great for burning calories.
Pool exercises are a great way to get a full-body workout, improve your cardiovascular health, and burn extra calories in a low-impact way. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced exerciser, there are tons of exercises that can provide a great workout in the pool.