It seems like so many relationships end in heartbreak, so it’s no wonder why so many people are searching for ways to make sure that their relationship stays strong and healthy. One of the most effective tools to help solidify relationships is the 80/20 rule. Understanding what it is, the benefits it offers, and how to apply it correctly, can make a huge positive impact in any relationship.

What Is The 80/20 Rule In Relationships?

The 80/20 rule in relationships is a simple concept that helps explain balance in a relationship. This rule suggests that 80% of a relationship’s happiness should come from the individual and the remaining 20% should come from the relationship itself. In other words, people should not depend solely on the other person to make them happy. Rather, the individual should realize that their own happiness and wellbeing is ultimately their responsibility.

Benefits Of The 80/20 Rule In Relationships

  1. Allows Individuals to Focus on Self-Growth

By understanding the 80/20 rule, people can have a more realistic view of the relationship and remind themselves to focus on their own personal growth. This rule encourages individuals to nurture hobbies, build relationships outside of the one they are in and work on personal goals. It encourages individuals to focus on themselves and not rely too much on the other person to make them happy.

  1. Helps Reduce Unnecessary Expectations

The 80/20 rule helps keep expectations in check by reminding individuals that most of their happiness should be found within themselves. It helps to reduce the pressure of expecting a partner to meet all of their wildest desires, knowing that a certain level of satisfaction and happiness must come from the individual.

  1. Encourages Time Apart

This rule also encourages individuals to spend some time away from their partners. This allows the couple to maintain their own identity and interests, which serves to make the relationship even stronger. It is important for individuals to remember that they can still love their partner and take care of themselves at the same time.

  1. Encourages Positive Communication

When individuals understand and practice the 80/20 rule in relationships, it encourages effective communication and negotiation. It is important to discuss different needs and desires so that both parties can work together to find a compromise.

How To Apply The 80/20 Rule In Relationships

  1. Acknowledge Your Partner’s Worth

It is important to realize that your partner is not solely responsible for your happiness or feelings. While you should never take your partner’s feelings for granted or stop expressing your appreciation for them, you should ensure that you don’t rely heavily on them for your self-esteem or identity.

  1. Take Responsibility for Your Own Emotions

When it comes to managing your emotions and feelings, it’s essential that you recognize that, for the most part, you are in control of your own happiness.

  1. Appreciate Your Partner’s Uniqueness

We often forget just how unique our partners are. Our goal should be to encourage each others’ individual growth, so that we can be more supported and connected to each other.

  1. Take Time Away From Each Other

It’s important that you are able to cultivate and maintain your own identity and interests outside of the relationship. Taking time away from your partner can help to freshen your perspective and deepen the connection between you and your partner.

The 80/20 rule in relationships is a beneficial and practical tool that can be implemented and applied in any relationship. Understanding this simple concept and taking the necessary steps to apply it to your relationship can make a huge impact in the overall happiness and longevity of the relationship. No relationship is perfect and the 80/20 rule can help individuals have realistic expectations and communication in the relationship, resulting in improved satisfaction and success.