A hairstyle frames and complements the face, so choosing the right haircut is a decision that should be made carefully. The right haircut can give an otherwise ordinary look a hint of glamor and confidence. However, the wrong cut can easily make you a laughingstock. To make the right decision, keep these tips in mind when choosing the right haircut.
Evaluate Your Hair Type
Before you can decide on a haircut, you’ll need to determine your hair type. Knowing which hairstyle would suit you best is determined by the type and texture of your hair.
• Straight hair: If you have naturally straight hair, you can wear almost all hairstyles available. Feel free to experiment with shorter cuts or longer styles.
• Wavy hair: If you have wavy hair, the best hairstyle choices are those that feature your natural waves. A layered haircut adds a ton of softness and volume to wavy hair.
• Curly hair: Curly hair has lots of versatility and can be worn in almost any style. Go for short razor cuts for a modern look.
• Kinky/coily hair: Kinky hair looks amazing in short pixie cuts or closely shaved sides. You can also go for shorter bobs or layered hairstyles if you want to show off your hair’s natural texture.
Take Your Face Shape into Account
The second step in choosing the right haircut is to consider your face shape. The hairstyle you choose should highlight and enhance the features of your face.
• Round face: To elongate a round face, opt for a hairstyle that features slanted bangs and layers that reach your chin.
• Oval face: An oval face works with almost any hairstyle. Try a long, layered cut to add texture.
• Square face: Add softness to a square face with a layered cut that frames the face.
• Heart face: Wear your hair in such a way that the sides are longer than the top and the bangs are blunt. This helps to balance the wide forehead of a heart-shaped face.
• Diamond face: Create length for a diamond face shape by keeping the sides of your hair shorter than the top. Bangs are also a great option to add balance to the fullness of a diamond face.
Research Hair Inspiration Before You Cut
Now that you’ve determined your hair type and face shape, it’s time to narrow down your options. If you’re not sure what type of cut you want, start researching and looking for inspiration.
• Check out celebrity photos. Search for photos of celebrities with hair similar to yours, and find out what type of cut they have.
• Browse hairstyle magazines. Flip through a couple of hair magazines to get an idea of what type of cut would be best for you.
• Look at hairstyle websites. The internet is a great source of hair inspiration. You can find lots of ideas and tutorials on hairstyle websites.
Choose the Right Hairdresser
Now that you’ve found the perfect haircut, it’s time to find the right hairdresser to do the job. The goal is to find someone who can cut your hair just how you want it. Here are a few tips for selecting the right hairdresser:
• Ask your friends and family. Ask your friends and family to recommend a good hairdresser.
• Look at their portfolio or reviews. Conduct a review of hairdressers in your area. Check out their portfolios and read reviews to get an idea of their skills and experience.
• Do a test cut. Ask the hairdresser for a test cut to get an idea of their work. This will help you decide if they’re the right person for the job.
On the Day of Your Haircut
You’ve evaluated your hair type, searched for inspiration, decided on the right hairdresser, and now it’s finally time for your haircut. To ensure you get the perfect cut, take the following steps prior to your appointment.
• Gather photos of your desired look. Show your hairdresser a couple of photos to help them understand the haircut you’re looking for.
• Prepare to discuss. Prepare a few questions ahead of time and be sure to talk to your hairdresser about the style and length you want.
• Bring snacks. Bring some snacks to your appointment to help you relax and stay comfortable while your hairdresser works.
• Make sure you’re comfortable. Ask your hairdresser to show you the cut at various stages so you can make any adjustments along the way.
Take Care of Your New Haircut
Finally, after you get the perfect haircut, you must take care of it to make it last. Here are a few tips for taking excellent care of your new style:
• Wash your hair regularly. Washing your hair regularly helps to keep it clean and maintain the natural oils which help to keep it nourished.
• Use styling products sparingly. Use styling products sparingly, as too much product can weigh down your hair and make it look greasy.
• Protect your hair when sleeping. Make sure you protect your hair by tying it up before going to bed. This will help to prevent tangles and breakage.
• Stay away from heat. Heat can damage hair, so try to avoid using hot tools on a regular basis.
By following these tips, you’re sure to find the perfect haircut for you. Remember to take your hair type and face shape into account, and to choose the right hairdresser for the job. Most importantly, take care of your hair and it will remain beautiful for years to come.