Summer is here and the temperatures are rising! Nothing beats the heat quite like a cool and creamy scoop of ice cream. And luckily, you don’t have to settle for store-bought varieties to get your summer ice cream fix. Making homemade ice cream can be rewarding and fun, and it only takes a few simple steps. Here we’ll provide you with all you need to know to get started on making your very own scoops of summer, with a few delicious homemade ice cream recipes to get you started.
Why Make Homemade Ice Cream?
There are lots of reasons to try your hand at making ice cream this summer. From the saving-money aspect to being able to perfectly customize flavors, here are a few of the most exciting benefits of homemade ice cream.
• More Cost-Effective than Store-Bought—Making your own ice cream gives you the freedom to save money and make a quality product without breaking your budget.
• All-Natural Ingredients—Your ice cream can be created with all-natural and healthy ingredients. You won’t have to worry about any added preservatives or artificial flavors.
• Control of Sweetness—When you make your own ice cream ,you have complete control over the amount of sugar or other sweeteners you choose to add. You can also choose your own sweetener for a healthier option.
• Fun for Everyone—Making your own ice cream is a great activity to share with loved ones. You can all pick different flavors and toppings to individualize your scoops.
• Unique Flavors—Store-bought ice cream can be quite limited when it comes to flavor variety. With homemade ice cream, the sky’s the limit. You can dream up crazy and delicious combinations tailored to your taste buds, like Mexican-spiced Chocolate, Strawberry Balsamic, and Vanilla-Coffee Bean.
Creating homemade ice cream requires a few key pieces of equipment. Fortunately, these items are typically items you may already have in your kitchen, or are easy to find at your local department or kitchen store.
• Ice cream maker—This is the main component of the ice cream making process and can be electric or manual.
• Mixing bowls, spatulas, and measuring cups—These are all essential for creating the ice cream mixture before churning it in the ice cream maker.
• Freezer-safe storage—Most homemade ice creams will last up to two weeks in the freezer, so make sure you have enough storage containers on hand to store them.
• Toppings—This is completely optional, but having some classic ice cream toppings in your pantry can make for an extra flavourful treat. Things like sprinkles, nuts, and chocolate chips are popular choices.
Alright, so now that you know what you need, let’s get the scoop on making your own delicious homemade ice cream.
- Pick your Recipe—Everyone loves ice cream and the recipes are endless. You can pick a classic recipe like Vanilla or Chocolate, or opt for something a bit more unique! To help you get started, here are a few ideas for delicious homemade ice cream recipes.
• Classic Vanilla—A staple for good reason. Follow this easy four-ingredient recipe for a perfect classic vanilla ice cream.
• Chocolate Chip—This creamy recipe is made with a simple chocolate chip cookie dough. The result is a delicious and indulgent ice cream every chocolate lover will adore.
• Sweet Orange Creamsicle—This creamy orange ice cream is perfect for summertime. Made with light cream and tangy orange blossom honey, this is sure to be a hit.
• Add-ins—You don’t have to stick to one recipe at a time! Get creative and make your homemade ice cream truly your own by adding various mix-ins like nuts, chocolate chips, and candies.
Gather Your Ingredients—Before beginning your ice cream making process, make sure you have all of your ingredients on hand in the amounts specified in your chosen recipe.
Prepare the Mixture—Whisk together all of your ingredients in a mixing bowl until fully combined. Don’t assume the recipe resources have been pre-measured. Always double-check the measurements and directions of your chosen recipe for the best outcome.
Chill—Once your mixture is fully combined, cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least two hours, up to overnight.
Churn—Once the mixture has been chilled, transfer it to your ice cream maker and turn on the machine. Churn your ice cream according to the manufacturer’s instructions until it reaches the desired consistency.
Enjoy—Finally, transfer your homemade ice cream to a freezer-safe container and top with your favourite topping.
Freeze—Place your ice cream in the freezer, allowing it to freeze for at least 4 hours, up to overnight.
Homemade Ice Cream Tips
• Always use an electric or manual ice cream maker to ensure your ice cream turns out creamy.
• Let your ice cream maker do its job. Don’t open the lid and stir or check the mixture too many times, or the ice cream could become grainy.
• Be sure to chill the mixture for long enough. The colder it is when it’s churned, the creamier the end result.
• When freezing the ice cream, allow it to harden in the freezer for 4-6 hours minimum, up to overnight.
The Scoop on Homemade Ice cream
Now you’ve been equipped with all the knowledge you need to make your own delicious scoops of summer at home. Making homemade ice cream is a great way to bond with friends and family and make a healthier, more cost-effective ice cream than what’s available in the stores. With all of the delicious recipes and add-in options to choose from, you can get creative and make a variety of custom flavors. So, let’s scoop up the fun this summer and get creative in the kitchen.